What Is It?
The KNFB Reader is an app for blind or visually impaired people that converts printed text into speech to provide fast and accurate access to physical documents with the tap of a button.
- Ability to import, OCR, and read image-based PDF and JPEG files.
- Export plain text and HTML files to cloud storage services including Dropbox and Google Drive.
- Dropbox synchronisation and backup functionality.
- Read multi-page documents.
- Recognise and read text in 13 languages.
- Fully localised user interface for 12 languages.
- Requires IOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone 4s and newer, iPad Air 2, and iPod Touch 5/6.
- Android version available from Google Play.
Can I Afford It?
There are 3 ways to offset the cost of the KNFB Reader:
If purchased in Ireland, the price includes 23% VAT, which can be reclaimed by submitting Form VAT 61A (PDF, 127kb).
From time to time, KNFB will reduce the price of the Reader by 15, 25, or even 50% for a limited period. You can sign up to App Shopper for free and receive an email notification whenever the price changes.
Lastly, Android users can always try the app before buying the unlocked version. The trial version allows processing of 25 documents with all features of the paid version enabled. Full version unlocked with an in-app purchase.
Is It Worth It?
KNFB Reader is expensive, but reviews have been overwhelmingly positive and it has won numerous awards. The general consensus is that it is nothing short of essential.